12.18.2011

to the nth degree

I watched Chinatown (1974) yesterday...but it left me with questions.

Questions I wish I could debate with someone, with a group of people. And that is what tends to happen after I see a movie I liked or loved (and sometimes, that I hated). I want to discuss it with someone, analyze it.

But, you say, you have a blog! Just post your analysis on that.

Yes, because that's not like talking to myself, just in print form.

I think I do see, however, where my love of 1920s-1940s came from. Chinatown was a very good 1970s treatment of 1930s-1940s Art Deco style (yes, I was paying more attention to the architecture, furniture and clothing than the dialogue). I think there was a revival of that style in the '70s which I was probably exposed to (particularly all my television watching as a child). When you can pinpoint an influence, a reason why you like something, that's a bit scary, a bit enlightening.

No comments: