1.31.2012

sure 'nough

Well, hi, there. It's been, eep, ten days or so since my last blog. If you think I've been neglecting my blog, you should see my poor Netflix...I have not been watching movies on the regular.

I watched (a few weeks back but I won't dwell) Savage Grace (2007). It sounded interesting - based on a true story (I tend to like "true crime") about a dysfunctional rich family. They travel lots, look pretty, are super rich and, oh, in the last few minutes, the son kills the mother. Wah?

And that's what this film showed me. If you are going to have unlikeable characters (like this film) you have to either find a way to make them a smidge likable, somehow. To get the viewer to care at all, there has to be some investment. The son kills the mother and you kind of see it coming and don't really care either way. The movie has no soul, which is sad considering it is based on a true story, a crime of passion (I always disliked that phrase)..."passion" indicating there was something going on. I mean, a person kills his mother. There has to be some soul, something interesting, something glimmering behind it...but no, we have pretty characters in pretty settings and that's about it. There are crime reenactment shows on TV that do a better job (in a shorter time frame) about going deeper into the people involved, finding something likable or something for the viewer to latch on to/relate to.

No comments: