12.13.2011

factory girl

I'm taking a design class. It's a mix of people - most with professional experience, some just with interest (like me), some that appear to be younger than me, some older. So, the other day in class, the instructor mentions some artists and says something about Andy Warhol. One of the students, a lady I assume is in her 40s-50s, asks for clarification. I'm thinking surely, because of the instructor's accent, she just didn't understand her. Nope. This older woman, with an interest and/or background in design/art/creative things had NEVER heard of Andy Warhol. I hope that doesn't make me snobby but it just makes me sad when someone who is old enough, who has artistic leanings has zero clue about a popular culture reference. A little piece of my brain just played a sad trombone.

No comments: