12.02.2011

six times a lady

I was watching the Maury show yesterday (yup) and one of the stories was about a couple making their SIXTH appearance on the show. (Sorry - I do not remember their names) Gloopy (the "husband") and Glompy (the wife) had come on the show five previous times (over the span of almost ten years), at Gloopy's insistence, for Gloopy to confess to his (long suffering) wife that he has cheated on her. And not the standard for these shows 'it just happened' one night stand - no, he had cheated multiple times with multiple people (I forgot the math, but the first time, he had cheated with 5 people, then the third time or so it was 25 people - which I don't know if that means a new 25 or if that includes the previous confessed dalliances).

Apparently, after all this, Glompy forgives and takes him back (FIVE times). Gloopy brings her back one last time - to prove he is no longer cheatin'! Lie detector test (not valid in most courts) prove he is no longer cheatin'! And poor Glompy says that if he fails (this test that really isn't that accurate), she is kicking him out. Good for you, Glompy! A bit late, but good for you!

In the end, he passes. He hasn't cheated on her in like a year or so, so everything is all rainbows and bubblegum. Maury ought to give them a trip somewhere (other than his show), - a second honeymoon or a first time 'I'm not cheating anymore!' trip - but he doesn't.

Which all this leaves me to wonder - if you were the wife, why in the world would you keep coming back on the Maury show? I mean, after the first two times or so, you kind of get the point that Gloopy has the Maury show producers on speed dial and that every time Gloopy says, "honey, pack your bags, we're going to Maury next week!" it means that, yes, he's cheating on you (except this last time!). Outside of the question why in the world did she keep this guy around? I mean, the first time my husband announces, on syndicated television, that's he's cheating, I'd be like, ok, alright, donzo, there's the door. Did he tell her the second, third, fourth, FIFTH time that it was a show not about his cheating or did he let it be a 'surprise' to her? And why choose that same show, that you humiliated your wife on five times before, to vindicate yourself? I mean, really.

1 comment:

Butch Manly said...

I was going to write something snide and mocking but then I realized that you watched "Maury" and obviously have enough issues to deal with without me piling on.